Can I get help?

Can I get help?

You may be entitled to support from Children’s Services. For example, you can be given financial support or breaks from your caring responsibilities. Either you or your family can ask Children’s Services for an assessment. 

The assessment will look at: 

  • How much and what type of care you are giving.
  • Whether the care you are giving is affecting your own health and well-being.
  • Whether any of your caring tasks are too much or whether it is not really right for you to be doing those types of tasks.
  • Whether support could be given directly to the person being cared for so you don’t need to. You should be involved in the assessment as well as your parents and anyone else you or your parents want to have involved. Your wishes should be considered.

If you are a young carer of an adult (someone aged 18 or over), you can request a Carer’s Assessment from the Children and Families Team. Call 020 7332 3621 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm) or email the Children’s Duty Team to see if you are eligible for support


Children and Families Emergency Out of hours can be contacted on 020 8356 2710 (outside of normal working hours).


Talk to our City Connections Wellbeing Officer

As a carer, it is important that you take care of our own health and wellbeing. Our City Connections Wellbeing Co-ordinator offers a friendly, confidential listening ear and can talk over the phone or meet you anywhere in The City. 

We can help you: 

  • To access services that can support you in your caring role.
  • To access training that will help you feel more confident.
  • To access expert information and advice on your rights as a carer.
  • To find a balance between caring and the rest of life.
  • To meet and share experiences with other carers and hear from local professionals.
  • To help you find ways to follow your interests and hobbies.

Call us on 0203 957 9844 or email


National Support Services

Young City Carers may also be able to access support from national organisations. The organisations below can provide support for young carers. 

Action for Children provides various services offering practical and emotional support to young carers. or 01923 361500 

Carer’s Trust provides an online community for young carers. 

Barnardos support young carers and their families with various services. 

The Children’s Society: various services providing support to young carers. or 01962 711511 

Coram Voice free Advocacy Helpline for Children and Young People. or 0808 800 5792

Delivered by Age UK East
London on behalf of The
City of London corporation

Get in touch

Here's how you can get in touch with The City Connections Service.
Our Head office: 82 Russia Lane, Bethnal Green E2 9LU
Phone number: 0203 957 9844

Contact form

Click here to fill in our contact form and will get back to you within 2 working days. This website is managed by Age UK East London, 82 Russia Lane, London, E2 9LU.

Registered charity number 1144535. Company number 7687015.
® Age UK East London 2022. All rights reserved.