Money and Benefits


Home 9 Are you a carer? 9 Money and Benefits 9 Health and Disability

Help With Health Costs If You Receive Benefits

If you are in receipt of Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (not contribution based), Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, Income-based Employment and Support Allowance, or Universal Credit, then you can full help with health costs. 

Help with NHS health costs can include: 

  • Prescriptions
  • NHS dental charges.
  • Sight tests.
  • Vouchers towards the cost of glasses and contact lenses.
  • Sight tests.
  • Travel costs.
  • Wigs and fabric supports.
  • The person you care for may also be able to get help with their health costs.

If you get Working Tax Credits, then you may be eligible for an NHS tax credit exemption certificate, which entitles you to full help with NHS health costs. 

If you are aged 60 and over, you can gain free prescriptions and NHS eye tests regardless of your income. 

The NHS has an online eligibility checker


Help With Health Costs If You Have A Low income

If you do not receive one of the qualifying benefits listed above but have a low income, then you may be able to get ‘full’ or ‘partial’ help towards NHS health costs through the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS). You can apply for the scheme if your savings, investments or property (not counting the place where you live) do not exceed the capital limit. 

In England, this is: 

£23,250 for people who live permanently in a care home 

£16,000 for everyone else 

Depending on your individual circumstances, you will either receive ‘full help’ (through an HC2 certificate) or ‘partial help’ (through an HC3 certificate). To apply for an HC2 certificate, you should complete an HC1 form, which is available from Jobcentre Plus offices and most NHS hospitals. You can also get an HC1 form by calling 0845 610 1112. 

If you need an assistance in making your claim or have questions about the LIS, then you can contact an adviser on 0300 330 1343.


Disability-related benefits

There is a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions which you or the person you care for may be eligible for. Visit the government website for more information


City Connections can help you to give you an initial understanding of benefits you may be eligible for, and where needed we will put you in contact with other organisations that can give further guidance. Contact us on or 020 3957 9844.


Some benefits you might get are:


Universal Credit Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Attendance Allowance ‘new style’ Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)


Depending on your circumstances, you might also be able to get:


  • Industrial Injuries Benefit if you’re disabled as a result of work
  • Constant Attendance Allowance if you need daily care and attention because of a disability

If you’re disabled you can apply for the following help with transportation:


  • exemption from paying vehicle tax
  • parking benefits – Blue Badge
  • disabled persons bus pass or Disabled Persons Railcard
  • help to buy or lease a car from The Motability Scheme

If you’ve been assessed by your local council as needing care and support services, you can get:


  • Direct payments – allowing you to buy in and arrange help yourself instead of getting it directly from social services
  • Disabled Facilities Grants – which is money towards the costs of home adaptations to enable you to continue living there

If you’re on a low income you may be eligible for Universal Credit and could get help with housing costs. If not, check if you’re eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction from your local council.


Help if you’re employed


You may be able to top up a low salary by claiming Universal Credit. You also might be able to get an Access to Work grant to pay for:


  • special equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you – do things like answer the phone or go to meetings
  • help getting to and from work
  • mental health support
  • communication support at a job interview (for example, a British Sign Language interpreter or a lipspeaker)
  • VAT relief on certain goods and services You do not have to pay VAT on certain goods and services if they’re just for your own use and you’re disabled or have a long term illness.

Armed forces compensation – You may be able to get compensation if you’ve been injured or disabled while serving in the armed forces.


Delivered by Age UK East
London on behalf of The
City of London corporation

Get in touch

Here's how you can get in touch with The City Connections Service.
Our Head office: 82 Russia Lane, Bethnal Green E2 9LU
Phone number: 0203 957 9844

Contact form

Click here to fill in our contact form and will get back to you within 2 working days. This website is managed by Age UK East London, 82 Russia Lane, London, E2 9LU.

Registered charity number 1144535. Company number 7687015.
® Age UK East London 2022. All rights reserved.