Are you a carer and under 18?

City Connections | Health and wellbeing services in London's square mile

Can I get help?

You may be entitled to support from Children’s Services. For example, you can be given financial support or breaks from your caring responsibilities. Either you or your family can ask Children’s Services for an assessment under section 17 of the Children Act 1989. The assessment will look at:

  1. How much and what type of care you are giving.
  2. Whether the care you are giving is affecting your own health and well-being.
  3. Whether any of your caring tasks are too much or whether it is not really right for you to be doing those types of tasks.
  4. Whether support could be given directly to the person being cared for so you don’t need to.

You should be involved in the assessment as well as your parents and anyone else you or your parents want to be involved. Your wishes should be considered.

Other Useful Information

Action for Children provides various services offering practical and emotional support to young carers. ( or 01923 361500)

Carer’s Trust provides an online community for young carers. (

Barnardos support young carer’s and their families with various services. (

The Children’s Society: various services providing support to young carers. (www.youngcarer.comor 01962 711511)

Coram Voice free Advocacy Helpline for Children and Young People. ( or 0808 800 5792)